This is a place designed especially for Bigs to provide you with the support, inspiration and materials you need to make your match even stronger. Need some ideas for fun activities? Or answers to some tough questions? You've come to the right place!
A Toolkit & Resources for Bigs
our approach to covid-19
Tips for staying connected
Virtual Match Activity Ideas
There will be a many more of these to come over the coming days and weeks, but we wanted to get you started with a few Match Activity ideas that you can dive into this weekend with your Little!
• Develop a talent, skill, or passion together! There is a ton of experts creating exceptional online content right now that can help you and your Little learn to draw or doodle, perfect an in-home workout, practice ballet, become a scientist, explore the world, become a great cook, learn a second (or third!) language, become a yogi, or learn how to dance!
• Don't hesitate to daydream! Plan future activity ideas you two might do together once it's safer to move about in the community. Check out this website, this website, and this one too for great activities and attractions to check out locally.
• Have a Movie night! Plan to watch the same movie (here are some ideas and here are some more) and discuss via phone or text message either during or after. Make sure to get movie selection approved by parent/guardian and here are some great questions (though you'll have to swap the word 'book' for 'movie) to get you going.
• Watch a virtual concert together! There are a ton of artists who are hopping on the bandwagon and hosting virtual and free concerts for their fans! Here's a list from NPR that might be helpful.
• Have a virtual book club! You can read to your Little via FaceTime, WhatsApp Skype, or Zoom, or plan to read the same book and discuss with each other. Here are some great book ideas to get started and here's some tips on how to get the conversation going.
• Have a library card? Libby is a great resource for accessing downloadable free e-books!
• Does your Little like to build? Purchase duplicate Lego sets or jigsaw puzzles and send one to both you and your Little. Share your progress by sending photos via text message and see who can complete their project first!
• Schedule game time! Using app-based games like Words with Friends, Draw Something, Chess (click here for the web version), Checkers, or Bowling can be great ways to engage and connect with your Little, while enjoying some down time. Check out this website (and this one too!) for great games you and your Little can play on laptops or desktops.
Does your Little have virtual homework assignments they're trying to tackle? Offer to lend a helping hand! Whether it's a book report, an algebra lesson, or anything else you can be incredibly helpful in assisting your Little in transitioning to digital learning.
Resources to share with Parents
We have so many ideas for how to support you and your Little throughout the COVID-19 crisis. We are looking forward to being able to provide:
• Regular emails and text messages with resources and activity ideas
• Full time individualized case management via phone from your Match Support Specialist to meet the unique needs of your match and any training you may desire
Thank you for your commitment to helping a child in need during this challenging time. For children who are isolated, fearful and maybe just plain bored right now, your constancy and support can be the difference between regression and growth. Thank you.